Friday, June 4, 2010

Delicious Food and Wonderful Company

When I called May Wong at Asia in February (when I was working part-time at PBS) to ask her to renew her donation to WLVT's Annual Online Auction, I had every intention of bidding on one of the $30 Gift Certificates myself, as I'd heard nothing but good things about this place.  When May told me ASIA was voted one of the top Asian restaurants in the U.S. in 2007, that only confirmed my determination to snag one of these donations.  I lucked out, and saved the Gift Certificate for my daughter's visit this week.

I liked the atmosphere as soon as we walked in and were directed to a booth - low-key, not overly decorated, inviting.  We started out with Vietnamese spring rolls, and my daughter said, "I'm excited to see the main course, since these are so good."  Since she goes out to eat often in Seattle, and is an excellent cook, her opinion matters to me.  She ordered the Ginger Honey Chicken, and I went for the Cantonese Style Chow Fun, which was made of wide rice noodles with garlic, onions, scallions, and pork.  Well, when these dishes were brought to our table, the smells wafting from both were simply delicious - and the presentation was delightful.  We each took a generous helping of each and commented to each other throughout our meal about how good it was.  Although I really liked the ginger honey chicken, the flavors in the Chow Fun appealed more to me, and perfectly fit my mood.  We each brought home about a third of our dinners, and left feeling full but not overly stuffed.

Another thing I appreciated was the unobtrusive service.  The wait staff  didn't hover over us, asking every few minutes if everything was OK -- they only came quietly to clear dishes, and just asked once how we were enjoying our meal.  I appreciate this delicacy of approach.  I told the waiter that I would be writing up his restaurant on my blog, and he reacted enthusiastically.  I told him May's donation to Channel 39 definitely paid off, as she's gained a new customer.  Another plus - they are really close to my apartment!

I highly recommend this restaurant.  It was the best dinner out I've had in a long time.  (If I sound a bit low-key, it's because Jen's gone and I'm missing her already. . .)

No comments:

Post a Comment